The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

Northeast gets rocked by rare earthquake
New signs on Julia Street proudly display 20 state champion titles
Sabrina Carpenter brews new single “espresso”

April 19, 2024

Academic challenge, science club participate in SSC science competition

April 11, 2024

Girls, boys track and field teams transition to outdoor season

March 28, 2024

Girls soccer team looks forward to upcoming season

Ella Simpson
The 2023 varsity soccer team poses for a team photo. Last year, the team was undefeated in the regular season but lost to Benet Academy in sectionals.

The girls soccer team is ready to kick off the spring season. For the preseason, which starts in February, players have been working on their skills beforehand. 

Looking to improve last season’s score of 17-6-1, the preseason ensures that the players are at the top of the game. The varsity preseason largely consists of endurance focused drills and building and developing needed game skills that may have been lost during the off-season. Coaches Rick Prangen and Mark Tomczak have been creating practices to best fit their player’s needs and abilities.

“I think the coaches do a good job of putting together a variety of different practices and motivating us,” attacking midfielder Ella Simpson said.

Some players have even been preparing for the preseason to maximize their potential.

“Right now, I’m still playing club soccer so I’m still in the groove of things,” Simpson said. She is currently on Eclipse Select Soccer Club and committed to Western Michigan University Women’s Soccer.

The varsity team is also looking forward to welcoming new talent to the team.

“This year, finding players that will bring the same assets that [2023 seniors] brought to the field will definitely be important, and so hopefully once we find some people to try and fill their spaces, we’ll get the group going,” junior Sarah Shields said.

Last year, varsity girls soccer ended at the top of the South Suburban conference with a score of 11-0. Lemont advanced to sectionals but ultimately lost during the 2A sectionals against Benet Academy.

“Benet [Academy] is fortunately in 3A now, so I think we have a shot of winning sectionals and getting onto super-sectionals,” Simpson said.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Tom-Tom
$800
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Lemont High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.