The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

The beat of Lemont High School

The Tom-Tom

Northeast gets rocked by rare earthquake
New signs on Julia Street proudly display 20 state champion titles
Sabrina Carpenter brews new single “espresso”

April 19, 2024

Academic challenge, science club participate in SSC science competition

April 11, 2024

Girls, boys track and field teams transition to outdoor season

March 28, 2024

Ancona saw the sign of LHS

Leila Rexhepi
While ASL has a variety of signs, it is important to be able to fingerspell for names, pronouns and more. To practice, Ancona starts every class with a quick quiz which students participate and pick words for.

Just like every kid having a dream job, Jeslynn Ancona always had her eyes set on being a teacher. From the time she asked for a projector in third grade to now teaching high school students a visual language, Ancona has never doubted her choice to teach.

“I [have] always wanted to be a teacher,” Ancona said.

After high school, Ancona attended MacMurray College for her degree in Deaf and Hard of Hearing and Special Education. 

“…For a while I double majored in interpreting,” Ancona said.

With six years of teaching deaf and hard of hearing students prior to making her big entrance at LHS, Ancona shares her excitement for the upcoming school year as she explores a new avenue in her teaching career. Along with ASL, she teaches English I, Health/Communications and Resource.

“I worked two years in Maywood as a deaf and hard of hearing teacher for preschool through third grade and then I did four years in Mid Valley special education co-op,” Ancona said. “ASL teaching as a language is very new.”

In addition to teaching, Ancona also has a knack for a variety of athletics. She loves to play pickleball, golf, volleyball and water sports.

“[My family and I] go on a lake and do a lot of wake surfing or water skiing. And I enjoy volleyball. I used to be on a league,” Ancona said. 

While Ancona may be on a new journey she has already felt the “welcoming” and “super friendly” environment LHS has shown her. She cannot wait to see where it takes her.